Sunday 11 September 2011

Differential, Rear panel & Wishbones

My weekend started with a Friday trip up to Hereford to visit the Raw factory with Mike. He's after his next build, a Raw Striker (http://rawstrikerbuild.blogspot.com/). It was a good day and I actually picked up a few ideas for the Zero build. Looks like my build will include black ETB instruments and possibly Fox gunmetal alloys as currently fitted to the Striker demo car.

Saturday came about and I was eager to continue on my build and put in a serious amount of time. The first job was to finish fitting the differential, apart from a dose of Loctite 243 this is now fitted & complete. It was a bit of a struggle, 2 of the bolts didn't line up and after a bit of a fight with the car I got it bolted in. Not sure if my troubles were linked to the powder coated chassis or just that the holes were slightly out of line with my diff.

Following on from the differential I wanted to have a go at the rear wishbones. I thought these would look good installed and show some real tangible progress. Greedy really! So I got stuck in trying to fit the wishbone bushes. Copper Ease made my life so much easier and after a couple of hours I had the all of the bushes complete. Then it was time to build the wishbones and fit the Gaz shocks.










The driver's side hasn't gone in perfectly but I will try refitting this during the coming week or so. The passenger side has fitted perfectly, my only build issue is that the supplied bolts seem a little long! These will be replaced before I attempt to tighten up for good. Trial fitting took the rest of Saturday and a couple of hours on Sunday. It was then time to finished up and settle down for the Monza GP.



That wasn't it for the weekend, I just couldn't wait to fit the rear back panel. So I put the panel in for a test fit, perfect fit (thank you GBS!), so it was time to mark up for riveting. This done I then enlisted Lydia's help to lay down some adhesive and refit the panel without ending up with Sikaflex 221 all over the chassis! End result, the panel is clamped in ready to be riveted during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment