Sunday 13 May 2012

Dash part 2 & Stoneleigh

I've been continuing with the wiring on the dash, pleased to say that it is all complete - except where I haven't received the final switches yet! I even had a chance to discuss the wiring plan with Simon (GBS) whilst at Stoneleigh; fortunately the plan seems it will work (in theory). So with the dash more or less complete, I felt it was time to have a trial fit; however before doing so, I decided to turn the rear dash support panel around so the rivets were on the inside (or to put it better - hidden).
Hopefully I will have a chance to add a photo of the final wiring as I'm quite pleased with it, it's also looking a lot tidier than shown in my previous post! I've tried to show the overall wiring plan, if it works I'll leave this post as it is, if I have issues then you may see this post disappear! The only change from this plan is a live feed to the security key switch.

8th July: The hazards didn't work, here is the solution: http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=34078

Next jobs on the list included finally fitting the alternator and finishing the coolant pipes. The alternator has given me a few issues so far, the Sierra unit is too big, as is the standard mount as it fouls the steering shaft. So I now have a smaller alloy Capri mount but the alternator is still too close to the steering shaft. I'm going to try again next weekend, if no luck then I will raise the mount with a steel plate. With the coolant, I've got a GBS standard radiator with an overflow outlet, I also have a fancy header tank; however before I go all over the top with the cooling, I'm just going to fit an expansion tank. Once the car is running, I'll have a true feel of the cooling requirements.

I guess at some point I should think about turning the engine so I can fit the Bestek dizzy with the timing as close as possible to perfect, or maybe just OK?!

After these jobs have been looked at, I will be moving onto the rear wings, hopefully this should just be a weekend job and will include fitting the rear lights. Once this is complete, the car will be really taking shape. I'm still hoping to drive it for some part of this summer.

Stoneleigh
I was fortunate enough to be given tickets for Christmas so, as the May bank holiday arrived, I shot off up to Warwick for a day out in the sun. It was the first show I'd attended as a builder and it was a completely different experience as just an enthusiast - better I must add!

My trip to Stoneleigh was filled with various objectives, I had parts to collect, questions to ask and cars to 'borrow' ideas from. It was much the same for Mike (albeit a different car), he had my other ticket. I picked up my new exhaust manifold, exhaust fittings, carpet and battery cables and loaded up the car. Lots of parts to keep me busy over the next few weeks. I also managed to speak to Simon regarding the IVA, few hints & tips obtained - the most important is that the diffuser is not IVA compliant anymore! As mentioned above, Simon gave me some advice and set a few things straight on my wiring. I hadn't got anything wrong but had made some assumptions which he confirmed as correct. It was good to see the GBS stand so busy, possibly one of the bigger stands at the show. I picked up a few parts as above and got some ideas from the cars on show at both GBS and the RHOCar pitch. All in all, a very successful day and I'm pleased with the progress I've made since picking up the chassis in September.

1 comment:

  1. The car is really coming on well Aiden, keep it up , the end is in sight now! I love the design of the dash, glad to see some out of the box thinking.

    ReplyDelete