Wednesday 2 May 2012

Dash - part 1

I'm at the stage where I needed to start on the dash. I felt that this needed to be exactly how I wanted it so I was expecting it to take some time. Part of the beauty of the self builds is the fact that each car is unique to the builder - to best demonstrate this, I have confess that I've been planning this part of the build since pretty much the beginning of the build! So, after months I have finally decided on the setup:

- Smiths Telemetrix gauges (3 small and 2 large)
- Savage style switches & Starter button
- LED warning light cluster

With all this decided upon, I then needed to sort out placements. Before getting to the final design, I think I had gone though 4 others! But once I'd sat with the dash in front of the tv for a whole evening without even touching it, I felt I had hit the perfect design. After cutting, this is how it looked:


There will be 2 additional holes cut once the switches arrive (birthday hint!).

So with the dash cut I then needed to think about the actual wiring. After spending a couple hours on Visio, I've designed the ultimate wiring plan, I'll upload it here once it's been tested and proven to work. Wiring plan sorted, I set about fixing in gauges:


Here is a picture of the rear with some of the initial wiring. So far all the gauges have been wired in.


I will follow up this blog entry with the finished dash in a few weeks, but first, off to Stoneleigh!! First kit show as an actual builder, can't wait! Aims of Stoneleigh, coolant routing ideas and general part shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment