Saturday 16 July 2011

Death to the Sierra

So I've taken the plunge and decided to build my first kit car, a GBS Zero. I've got my Sierra donor, not exactly pretty to look at but should be ideal for the build; 2 litre pinto and no obvious leaks.

I've enlisted the help of my mate Mike and my brother Jordan to help strip the car. The initial plan was to get all major components out in one day; however after a slow start due to the need to build some rain proof gazebos we finally got stuck in.








Progress was hampered by the constant back and forth to the dry garage for tools but soon we had the steering column removed and engine disconnected. After removing the gear box mount we went for the 1st lift attempt - no joy. It was all stuck, over the next few hours we would try loosening up the rear diff, attempting to move the prop shaft, but nothing would help. In the end we had to unattach the gear box. Finally the engine came out, quickly followed by the gearbox.







Final few tasks of the day included removing the remainder of the steering column and various other components from the front axle. Still a fair chunk to go but a good day (despite the rain!).

No comments:

Post a Comment